Elections: WRAP 2016-2017 Officers

Below are the nominees’ descriptions of why they would be the best fit for each position. Read over them & vote!

President

• Elise Paige Dixon
    I believe I would be an excellent WRAP President because I am passionate about finding ways to create inclusive and welcoming spaces within WRAC, so graduates students can feel like they are part of a community here. Currently, I am a satellite coordinator for the writing center, and I am involved in multiple outreach projects with the WC that focus on the community of Lansing as a whole– building relationships is very important to me. I am also highly experienced in administrative work, as I was the office manager of a busy wellness clinic before I began graduate school, so I am highly capable of efficiently facilitating meetings, organizing and managing finances,  and acting as a liaison  among multiple parties.

Events Chair

• Suban Nur Cooley
    I’ve lived in the Lansing area for 10 years, know the community well, and feel as though I could provide WRAP with some interesting social options. My goal would be to occasionally engage our group in other existing community events, while also tailoring some events to assist us all in enriching our graduate experience. Goal: get to know each other, get to know this community, have a bit of fun.
  • Eve Cuevas
    Colleagues being able to socialize in constructive and interactive ways is an important component for a successful program experience. As social chair, I will make it my business to create social spaces that are accessible, fun and responsive to our evolving needs. (Also, I know how to throw a good party.) Vote for me!  kthanxbai.

Professional Development Chair

• Kate Firestone
    My interest in acting as WRAP’s 2016-2017 professional development chair stems from my desire to better understand professionalization in academia as well as gain experience in creating and coordinating opportunities for professional development in our department.  Having coordinated, recruited for, and facilitated the Navigating workshops and Write Ins in concert with the Graduate School, I am confident that my experiences will act as an important foundation for the work of professional development chair.  My experiences in this capacity have helped me realize how much I enjoy collaboration, especially when it involves reciprocal idea exchange and the creation of new opportunities for the benefit of all.  I look forward to taking a proactive and ultimately facilitative approach to establishing and expanding WRAP’s network of professional relationships in and among the department and wider university.  TL;DR: vote for me! >:D

Recruitment Chair

• Lauren Brentnell
    The recruitment chair, as a point person for all things recruitment, must be help plan recruitment, coordinate with recruitment buddies, and help recruits. I believe I would be good at these tasks because I am highly organized with background in project management and administration, which has helped me in supporting a variety of people around me as well as keeping tabs on everything going on (and addressing any problems that may come up). In addition, I love meeting and talking with people, which means I can maintain positivity during recruitment. Also, I’ll make baked goods at some point.
  • Elise Paige Dixon
    I would thrive in the position of recruitment chair because I excel at event planning. In my master’s program I was the head of a graduate student conference committee, and I worked with multiple university faculty and staff as we worked to plan the event. Furthermore, I’ve participated in WRAC recruitment both as a recruit and as a buddy, attending nearly all the functions, which has allowed me to see and think about how recruitment week shapes a students’ understanding of WRAC as a whole. I enjoy organizing events, recruiting people to participate in those events, and seeing the results of an event done well.

Assessment and Research Chair

• Wonderful Faison
    During my time in WRAC, I focused heavily of learning how to conduct academic research, specifically, how to use cultural rhetorics as a methodology for academic research. It is imperative that this department prepare its PhD students for faculty and administrative positions, as well as the perils, problems, and perils of academic research. Over two years in this program I have conducted several pilot studies with regard to race, language, and identity in academic spaces. One of these pilot studies is the genesis of my own dissertation which interrogates Writing Centers as raced spaces. While research has its benefits, learning new methods and methodologies, seeking new ways to respectfully engage with the communities, spaces, or objects we research, as well as navigating IRB can overwhelm the most ardent student. As Research Chair, and with my experience in conducting research while in the WRAC program, I can mentor incoming PhD students by answering questions, addressing concerns, as well as helping them work through any problems they have with regard to research, i.e. design, IRB, data collection methods, funding, etc.). Thank you for your time and considering me for the position of Research Chair.

RWAGAC PhD

• Elise Page Dixon
    A position as a RWGAC representative would be ideal for me because I have previous experience being on a graduate committee in my masters program. For both years of my program, I was the MA representative, and I worked diligently to provide a voice for the masters’ students, as well as to relay important information from the faculty to them. Our committee focused on first-year writing curriculum design, recruitment strategies, graduate funding, and job-training for dissertating students. I developed a valuable understanding of the administrative side of a department, and I could take this experience to a position as RWGAC representative.
  • Wonderful Faison
    During my time in WRAC, I focused heavily of learning how to conduct academic research, specifically, how to use cultural rhetorics as a methodology for academic research. It is imperative that this department prepare its PhD students for faculty and administrative positions, as well as the perils, problems, and perils of academic research. Over two years in this program I have conducted several pilot studies with regard to race, language, and identity in academic spaces. One of these pilot studies is the genesis of my own dissertation which interrogates Writing Centers as raced spaces. While research has its benefits, learning new methods and methodologies, seeking new ways to respectfully engage with the communities, spaces, or objects we research, as well as navigating IRB can overwhelm the most ardent student. As Research Chair, and with my experience in conducting research while in the WRAC program, I can mentor incoming PhD students by answering questions, addressing concerns, as well as helping them work through any problems they have with regard to research, i.e. design, IRB, data collection methods, funding, etc.). Thank you for your time and considering me for the position of RWAGAC rep.
  • Heather Noel Turner
    As your RWAGAC rep I would continue to represent and advocate for your needs to faculty administrators like I have done as WRAP president. It is my goal to make graduate student administration, mentorship, and pedagogy transparent and prioritized.

RWAGAC Ma

• Naomi Sweo
    Hi all! As many of the MA students already know, I’ve wanted to apply to this position since I heard about it earlier this school year. I’d like to have the opportunity to represent MA student interests and needs to our Graduate Director and Assistant Directors. I’m fascinated by the idea of learning about the administrative innerworkings and economic considerations of our department in an official role. As I prepare for applying to PhD programs, I think this position would be especially helpful in understanding the way that programs within our field allocate admissions and funds.

PW Committee

• Jack Hennes
    I would be honored to serve as the WRAP PW Committee Representative for the 2016-17 AY. I can say with confidence—after teaching two semesters in the program and serving on the PW committee for nearly a year on a voluntary basis—that the professional writing students in our department are driven and nothing short of inspiring. As PW Committee Rep for WRAP, I will continue to help make our PW undergraduate degree program even more challenging and motivating for our students. I also hope to help keep WRAP updated on programmatic matters and work with graduate students interested in teaching in the PW program.

Posted in Uncategorized.

2,998 Responses